Thursday, January 12, 2012

Prompt 2

I feel as if morals that people hold are extremely inconsistent. Additionally, morals are rather subjective and vary from culture to culture. The best example of this can come from the example about the cat. If we twist it around a little bit and substitute a dog for a cat, one may argue that it is morally wrong and repugnant to eat a dog. This however occurs in other countries such as China. As citizens of the United States we view this to be relatively disgusting. Just because it is viewed as disgusting doesn't mean it isn't moral but chances are most people take it one step further and do believe that it is morally wrong. Myself is included in that.
So back to the car scenario, although I found it to be disgusting and morally wrong, I can also see the opposing side of such a scenario. How can one condemn this situation when we eat various animals all the time (i.e - chicken, turkey, duck, etc). It is a bit contradictory on our part to say that eating an animal such as a cat would be immoral. We most likely deem it to be immoral because it is not something that we are used to and in our culture and country it is not common practice.

The third scenario dealing with incest was probably the most unsettling to me. Realistically, if you think about it in context of the exact scenario presented: no one was actually harmed or put in harms way. Once I got passed that however (even though on the quiz I did answer that people were harmed. I soon rethought that post-quiz) I realized that much of my problem with the scenario came from the fact that i just thought it was straight up disgusting. If the scenario was changed fully and the woman was able to get pregnant, then that would add a whole other layer to the situation. Then I could sit here and 100% say that people would end up being harmed as a result of the situation.

This quiz proved to be that at times (if not a large majority of times) I am inconsistent with my opinions and views. This inconsistency is driven by the fact that I allow my opinion (level of disgust) to influence and get in the way of my overall moral opinion on various issues. With that said, being as I feel that i don't necessarily think in the most philosophical of manners; prior to this writing prompt i never thought i was being inconsistent. I had also worked under the assumption that how various situations caused one to feel was directly correlated with ones own set of moral beliefs and codes.

Response to: http://parenethical.com/phil149win12/lecture-02prompt-02-what-is-ethics-contd/

No comments:

Post a Comment